Thursday 10 June 2010

Grey Squirrel’s autumn adventure

In a dark street is a dark wood.


In this dark wood, stood, a grand oak tree.


Inside the grand oak tree was a grand oak door


and in the grand oak door lived,


a Grey Squirrel.


Grey Squirrel was small and furry with a big bushy tail, little pointy ears and a wet button nose.


Each autumn: when the leaves on the trees changed from green to red, orange and brown and fall down to the ground. Grey Squirrel would spend all day gathering them for this home in the grand oak tree.


He’d make the twigs into a bed and use the leaves as a pillow and at the end of the day he would sit on his twig chair and eat nuts for his dinner.


After a long week collecting leaves and twigs Grey Squirrel sat down on his twig chair to eat nuts for his dinner but he realised the nut jar was empty.


“I wish that the nut jar was full, I am so hungry,” he said


The next day when he was collecting his leaves and twigs he noticed a twig a little longer than the rest. He picked it up in his tiny furry paw and it began to glow.


This was a magic twig.


Grey Squirrel rushed up the grand oak tree and into his front room to cast his first spell.


“Magic twig let it be, that I have with me,

a black cloak and pointy hat

to make this a magic tree.” He said.


And then, a black cloak and pointy hat appeared in front of Grey Squirrel. The twig began to shake and then flew out of the grand oak door into the air and shattered to a thousand pieces all over the tree. Grey Squirrel had made it a magic tree.


Grey Squirrel quickly put on the black cloak and pointy hat and was ready to cast his second spell.

“Magic twig let it be, that I have with me

Lots and lots of nuts around me

so I will never go hungry in this tree.” He said.


And then thousands of nuts appeared around Grey Squirrel. They were in the jar, in all the cupboards, under the table and in the fireplace. Everywhere he looked, in every nook and cranny was a nut.


“Oh dear,” said Grey Squirrel, “This will never do, I don’t have any room to sit and eat my dinner. I shall burn them all and start again.” He said and was ready to cast his third spell.


“Magic twig let it be, that I have with me

Lots of logs on the fire that will burn the nuts

so I can have some space around me in this tree.”


And then a ton of logs fell down the chimney and lit up the fireplace. The Grey Squirrel began chucking the nuts on the fire and they burnt red and yellow and lit up the room, burning bright.


They burned hotter and hotter and Grey Squirrel heard a pop,


And another


And another


Pop, pop, pop, it wouldn’t stop


Squirrel closed his eyes tight shut and when he opened them again to his surprise, all around him, wall to ceiling was popcorn.


“Oh dear,” said Grey Squirrel, “This will never do, I still don’t have any room to sit and eat my dinner. I must get it out of the tree” he said and was ready for his fourth spell.


“Magic tree let it be, that I have with me

A spoon to move all this popcorn out of my door.

So I can have some space around me in this tree.”


And then a big shiny spoon appeared in Grey Squirrels tiny furry paw. Grey Squirrel began spooning the popcorn out of the grand oak door and it fell down the tree.


After a long night moving the popcorn out of the door. Grey Squirrel finally cleared all the popcorn from his room and it was completely empty. Not a nut or popcorn in sight.


But… do you know what happened then?


Thousands of nuts fell into the room, they filled his nut jar, in every nook and cranny was a nut. Then, tons of logs fell down the chimney and lit up the room and Grey Squirrel heard a pop


And another


And another


Pop, pop, pop, it wouldn’t stop


“Oh dear,” said Grey Squirrel, “This will never do, I still don’t have any room to eat my dinner this has to stop!” he said


And then, just like that, the nuts, the logs and the spoon disappeared.


Grey Squirrel sighed a big sigh and began pushing the popcorn out of the grand oak door.


He knew to be very careful what he wished from the magic tree again!

No comments:

Post a Comment